It’s been an incredible year at CFP and RISE Charlotte!! Our athletes are the very best…you show up dark and early, late night, in the rain, in the cold, in the heat. No excuses and your dedication and consistency pay off!! While there are SO many of our athletes that deserve celebrating, we’re excited to end the year on a high note and show out these 2 amazing ladies!
— Jackie Cansler — and — Alyssa Carlson —
These 2 women have made leaps and bounds in the gym this year! They show up, put in the work i n the gym AND out of the gym (ie – what they’re eating), and they don’t make excuses. Read more about each of these awesome ladies below, be sure to look for them on the leaderboard and tell them congrats next time you see them!!
Jackie just celebrated her 5 year anniversary with CrossFit Pineville! She and her husband, Jason, are both members and they have an adorable 1 1/2 year old son, Jaxon! This past year Jackie was finding her new normal in the gym, starting 2019 about 6 months postpartum. She has worked with The Fuel Method to fuel her body for her goals!! Not only has she lost all the baby weight and is down to her “wedding weight”, she’s getting stronger, hitting new lifetime PR lifts, getting her bar muscle ups back and topping the whiteboard! Congrats on an amazing year!! We’re so proud of your hard work and are excited to see where 2020 takes you!
- Tell us about yourself in a few sentences. I’m not originally from Charlotte, I grew up in a town on the other side of Raleigh called Clayton. I moved out here after college (ECU) because my family moved here. I work at a school as a Literacy Coach. I’ve been married 3 years to my husband Jason and we have an almost 18 mo old, Jaxon. This is my 6th year doing CrossFit, 5 years here at CFP.
- What is your proudest moment in CrossFit? Can’t think of an exact moment, but I’m pretty proud of sticking with CrossFit my whole pregnancy (thanks to a lot of modifications)! My last workout before having Jaxon was over 40 weeks along (4 days before he was born).
- What is your favorite CrossFit exercise? Anything with legs; squats, thrusters, wall balls. I’m definitely stronger with my lower body than my upper body.
- What CrossFit exercise do you like least? Strict handstand push ups and that’s just because I can’t use my legs at all and they are so hard for me.
- What would you tell someone considering trying CrossFit? You can modify anything and don’t be scared to do so!
Alyssa has been a CFP member for 2 1/2 years!! When she first joined, she was battling some plantar fasciitis and was looking for a change in her workout routine. I think it’s safe to say she found a change she loved! Alyssa has been so dedicated. She’s worked around other injuries – so many ski calories while wearing a boot (remember those good times, Alyssa? 😉 ) or all the lower body work while resting her shoulder. She’s made it a consistent habit to show up and work on her weaknesses and she’s probably the fittest, healthiest and leanest she’s ever been! Incredible!! Way to rock this year, Alyssa! We’re so proud and are excited to see what’s in store for the new year ahead!
- Tell us about yourself in a few sentences. By day, I work in Human Capital Practice consulting, but at night (or sometimes 530 am) my favorite thing to do is throw on my sweats, do a WOD, then stay at the box for an extra hour to work on all my weaknesses. I didn’t play sports growing up. I was generally pretty shy, unathletic and I hated to sweat. I would always find a way to be excused from gym class. Now I get excited to check the WOD and look forward to training.
- What is your proudest moment in CrossFit? Finishing my first competition, 65 Roses. I don’t like being in the spotlight and having all eyes on me, so this really took me out of my comfort zone.
- What is your favorite CrossFit exercise? Dumbbell snatch and squat cleans (it’s a tie)
- What CrossFit exercise do you like least? Thrusters
- What would you tell someone considering trying CrossFit? 1 – Anyone can do CrossFit because everything can be modified! 2 – Take a rest day. 3 – Being a scaled athlete Rx is cool too
Meet Sarah Brogden, our October 2019 Athlete of the Month!!
Sarah joined CrossFit Pineville just over a year ago! Shortly after joining she found out she was pregnant and was sidelined from working out from her doctors. In early September, when her sweet Sawyer was 8 weeks old, she decided our RISE Wellness Challenge was the perfect start back to working out after having to take about 9 months off.
Sarah has been doing an amazing job!! Rarely is working out easy and convenient, especially with a newborn 😉 but Sarah has been putting forth the effort and it is paying off! Sarah wheels Sawyer around from station to station during her workouts and coaches take turns giving snuggles when needed so mama can get some endorphins (they are SO real & beneficial!) and get back to feeling her best so she can be her best for Sawyer!
Sarah, you are such an inspiration! Keep up the amazing work, the best is yet to come!! Read more about Sarah below…
Sarah’s Athlete Profile
1. Tell us about yourself in a few sentences.
I am a stay at home wife and mom of a three month old. I love watching comedies, baking, spending time with my family, online shopping, wood working, and going to the beach!
2. What do you hope to achieve through RISE?
This last year of my life has been full of changes. We contracted the build of our first home and we had our first child! Needless to say my stress levels were high and I treated it with food! I am hoping that with the help of RISE I can get back into shape and love my body again! Seems to be working since I’m almost 6 weeks in and down almost 9 pounds!
3. What is your favorite RISE exercise?
It’s a close call between the battle ropes and sledgehammers! They both make me feel like a beast! Haha
4. What RISE exercise do you least like?
Burpees! Without a doubt I hate burpees!
5. What would you tell someone considering trying RISE?
Don’t be afraid to go for it! I was nervous to get back in the gym after not being able to workout through my entire pregnancy but the coaches and other members are so encouraging and help push me through every workout!
Meet our September 2019 Athlete of the Month, Hannah!!
Hannah has been a member at CFP for just over 3 months! She is constantly improving week after week! Hannah has been consistent in her workouts, coming in 4-5 times a week, listening to her coaches, and working on goals like pull-ups before or after class. Her strength has greatly improved and she’s been getting lots of gold stars on the white board!
If you see Hannah around, definitely tell her congrats! Keep up the great work, Hannah, the best is yet to come!
Hannah’s Athlete Profile
1. Tell us about yourself in a few sentences.
I was raised in Fort Mill. I graduated from Charleston Southern last year with a degree in Psychology and am trying to figure out what’s next. I love to hike, cook, and read in my downtime.
2. What do you hope to achieve through CrossFit?
I just want to stay healthy and active. I also want to improve everyday.
3. What is your favorite CrossFit exercise?
Squats or deadlift
4. What CrossFit exercise do you least like?
I think this changes depending on the WOD, but I don’t love the bike.
5. What would you tell someone considering trying CrossFit?
Just go for it! I said for a few years that I would never try CrossFit and now I really enjoy it. It’s a lot less scary than it seems. I love that the workouts are challenging and change everyday so it’s hard to get bored.
Meet our August 2019 Athlete of the Month…Linda!!
Linda joined RISE back in June of 2017. Two years later, now in her early 50s, and she’s the fittest she’s ever been! Linda is totally goals!! She is certainly getting better with age and it shows! She has been so consistent over the past 2 years and it’s paying off, for sure. You can always find Linda out on the weekends going for bike rides, yoga at local breweries, or volunteering for her favorite organizations!
She comes in each day with a can do, ready to go attitude! And she can definitely crush some burpees! Linda, we are so proud of you!!! Keep up all the great work, the best is yet to come!
Read more about Linda below…
1. Tell us about yourself in a few sentences.
I’m originally from Upstate NY, and have been in Charlotte for 20 years. I am 100% Italian and love to eat, Mexican and sushi are probably my favorite. Some of my hobbies are Carolina Panthers Football, live music, volunteering and now…. coming to RISE, lol.
2. What do you hope to achieve through RISE? When I first joined RISE over 2 years ago, I was getting ready to go to Aruba for my 50th B-day and like everyone else…was looking to lose a few pounds. Since then, I have lost close to 20 lbs. and am probably in the best shape I have ever been in. Now it’s all about maintaining the level of fitness that RISE has helped me achieve over these past couple years.
3. What is your favorite RISE exercise? That is hard to say…..I pretty much like them all, even the dreaded burpees!! DB snatch, wall balls and kettle ball swings are probably my top 3.
4. What RISE exercise do you least like? If I have to pick a least favorite exercise, I guess it would be the Ski Erg–seems boring to me compared to everything else.
5. What would you tell someone considering trying RISE? I would tell them to give it a shot. When I started, I figured I would stop coming after my 3 month trial period was over and my Aruba trip was complete. Now, it’s second nature for me to make sure I get a workout in almost every day. The variety of programming is one of the things I like best about RISE. I never get bored, always something different every class. I am not one of those that can do it on my own and the trainers at RISE have been great motivators. They are one of the other things that I like best about RISE. They are always attentive to ensure proper technique, offer good options to modify when needed, and are all around awesome people. A great, friendly atmosphere is an added benefit at CrossFit Pineville/RISE too!!
Meet our July 2019 Athlete of the Month – Mark Houston!!
Mark joined CFP just 6 months ago after he moved here from Florida! He regularly attends our evening classes after work and is making huge strides in all areas of his fitness, health and wellness! Mark grew up playing baseball, but since graduating was looking for something to give him that competitive edge. He has definitely found it at CrossFit! Mark is regularly putting up PR’s, getting stronger, and even completed his first competition recently!
Mark also knew that his nutrition wasn’t exactly on point. He started working with The Fuel Method at the beginning of June and is down 15 lbs in just 8 week’s time, his body composition is changing, and he feels amazing in and out the gym!
We’re so excited for you Mark!!! Keep up the great work, we know the best is yet to come! Read more about Mark below…
1. Tell us about yourself in a few sentences. I’m a Florida native and just moved to Charlotte in the past 8 months. Growing up I was always playing baseball from the time I was two years old until I graduated high school. Ever since then I’ve been itching to find a new sport to be passionate about. I found CrossFit about 6 months ago and I’ve drank the cool-aid. CrossFit is changing my life in the best possible way.
2. What do you hope to achieve through CrossFit? I hope to achieve a new level of fitness that I never thought was possible for myself.
3. What is your favorite CrossFit exercise? My favorite CrossFit exercise at this time has to be T2B. This is something I’ve achieved recently and am eager to do any WOD that incorporates it.
4. What CrossFit exercise do you least like? Least favorite is definitely burpees. I think I can speak for a lot of people on this one.
5. What would you tell someone considering trying CrossFit? I would tell them to just jump in and go for it. When I was considering CrossFit I was super intimidated by it and had thought about participating for over a year. When I finally had the courage to go, I realized that it is built for everyone, regardless of your fitness level. Also, there’s nothing like the bond you create with your fellow CrossFitters. We come from different backgrounds and interests, but CrossFit brings you together as a family.
Meet Rahul, our June 2019 Athlete of the Month!
Rahul has been a member of RISE Charlotte for 6 1/2 months now and he is quite literally in the process of changing his life! Rahul has had diabetes and taken insulin for several years now, but he was ready to make a change! He joined and hasn’t looked back. In just 6 months time, he’s down several pounds, inches, and pant sizes and has consistently lowered his blood sugars!! He is working to get off insulin and has made great strides to do so!
Rahul, you are setting an amazing example for your family, your kids, and everyone who meets you! You show us what is possible with some hard work and discipline! Congratulations on all you’ve achieved so far and keep up the great work! The best is yet to come!
Read a little more about Rahul below.
Rahul’s Athlete Profile
- Tell us about yourself in a few sentences. I was an athlete during my school and college days, but that was 15 years ago. Since then I tried to get into a routine workout program but couldn’t get much success. But thankfully, I found it with RISE.
- What do you hope to achieve through RISE? I want to get my blood sugars under control and lower my BMI.
- What is your favorite RISE exercise? I like the 1:05 min intervals because you get a full 25 seconds to chill out right after. I have a love-hate relationship with burpees.
- What RISE exercise do you least like? Skipping rope
- What would you tell someone considering trying RISE? The best part of RISE is that you are in and out in 45 minutes and easy to scale to make the workouts easier or harder for any level.
Meet our April 2019 Athlete of the Month – Dave Perkins!!!
Dave has been a member of CFP & RISE for almost 15 months now! He is a busy husband and proud dad of twin girls now in college. Dave has come so far in his time with us. He first joined wanting to get healthier and in better shape, and I would say he has definitely accomplished both! He has shed some body fat, added lean muscle, and keeps improving month after month on those lifts and metcons!
Dave trains smart and has made sure to check his ego at the door. He’s focused on form and has continued to get stronger, most recently PRing his snatch at our Battle of the Ages competition! Dave has an encouraging word every time you see him and never leaves without a few fist bumps after the WOD. We’re so thankful to have you as part of our community at CFP, Dave!
Keep up the great work, the best is yet to come! Read more about Dave below…
- Tell us about yourself in a few sentences. Raised in a military family so moved around a bit but grew up primarily in FL – proud to say there are no “Florida Man” stories about me. In May, my wife and I celebrate our 25th anniversary; we are the proud parents of twin girls who currently attend Furman University. Love to laugh and watch sports – my favorites are the Florida Gators, Miami Dolphins and the USA in any, and all, international competitions.
- What do you hope to achieve through CrossFit? In 2020, I will turn 50 so I’m hoping CF will help me develop the physical foundation to actively enjoy the later years of my life. After a year, I’ve already seen improvements with my physique, knees and back. I’m now able to play golf without needing a day to recover from knee and back soreness and have started an annual surf trip with friends down in FL (I can’t guarantee there may not be future “Florida Man” stories resulting from these trips).
- What is your favorite CF exercise? The Power Clean but I really enjoy the creativity of the holiday-themed metcons – I especially enjoyed the 12-days of Christmas and the recent Easter-themed metcon with my CFP class.
- What CF exercise do you least like? The Burpee, especially the burpee over bar. It’s crazy that I have no problems with the 24-inch box overs but get so tired “jumping” over a 6-inch bar after doing a burpee; I say “jump” but it’s more like a skip…ugh.
- What would you tell someone considering trying CFP? Honestly, I don’t think I can fully articulate what this box means to me. It’s so much more than just a gym; I know this is a cliché but it truly feels like family. The coaches are personable, super attentive, offer suggestions to improve technique and provide scaling options to help members dealing with ailments or who can’t complete the workouts as prescribed. The coaches and members are so welcoming to new members and are full of encouragement – everyone truly wants to see you succeed in achieving your personal goals. I can’t tell you how many workouts I’ve been proud to complete but know that I wouldn’t have gotten through it without hearing a word of encouragement from someone when I was at the brink. As if this type of environment wasn’t enough, a brewery will soon be opening right next door; looking forward to some future post-workout “cooldowns” there.
It may be April 2nd, but we still owe a huge congrats to our March Athlete of the Month, Emily Parker!!!
Emily has been a member of CrossFit Pineville for just over a year, but she’s been doing CrossFit for much longer, about 6 years actually! She and her husband Joe joined the gym once they moved to Charlotte and we love having them at CFP!! They like to switch it up between the early AM and the evening classes, so tell Emily congrats next time you see her 🙂
You would think after 6 years of CrossFit, your progress would slow, but Emily proves that wrong! Just this year in the Open, Emily got her first bar muscle ups and her first strict handstand push-ups!!! The whole gym erupted in cheers for her first bar muscle up, it was a really cool moment! Emily has become a regular in CrossFit competitions (as seen above) and continues to get stronger and more fit with each passing month.
Excited for you Emily, keep up the awesome work! The best is yet to come!!
Emily’s Athlete Profile
1. Tell us about yourself in a few sentences. My husband Joe and I started at CFP in January 2018 after moving to Charlotte. I’ve been doing CrossFit for about 6 years. We have two dogs; Layla a Mutt and Quincy a Pekapoo. I’m a User Experience Designer at RedVentures.
2. What do you hope to achieve through CrossFit? I do CrossFit for general health and fitness. I’ve always been active in something – cheerleading growing up, then group fitness in college. CrossFit is the only activity that has kept me physically and mentally challenged.
3. What is your favorite CF exercise? Snatch
4. What CF exercise do you least like? Running
5. What would you tell someone considering trying CFP? Give it a chance! I was intimidated by CrossFit before I started, but it’s the most welcoming gym environment I’ve ever been a part of. The coaches of CFP will ensure that you’re safe, modifying the right exercises and challenged. The community is always there to cheer you on and encourage you.
Meet our February 2019 Athlete of the Month – Sherine Hathout!!
Sherine just celebrated her one year anniversary at our gym back in January! She’s a busy mom of two and was looking for a little more guidance in her workouts. As long as she’s in the country, you can almost guarantee Sherine will be coming in for her mid-morning workout! She does a little of both CrossFit and RISE, but lately has found her stride in our RISE HIIT classes. She is always up for a challenge and strives to work the whole interval, giving it all she’s got.
Sherine, that hard work is paying off! Keep it up, the best is yet to come! Read a little more about Sherine below…
1. Tell us about yourself in a few sentences. I am an architect who is now a stay at home mom. I’ve lived on every continent except for Australia and I love to travel.
2. What do you hope to achieve through RISE? I love fast pace and challenging workouts. RISE is all of that and more! I want to build muscle, improve my fitness and endurance and I’d also like to look good too:)
3. What is your favorite exercise? If I have to pick just one I would have to say….BURPEES!
4. What exercise do you least like? Any run over 400m
5. What would you tell someone considering trying CFP/RISE? DO IT! I have never had as much fun working out. The coaches are the BEST! I truly love coming in every day, and I feel lucky to be surrounded by so many wonderful people that encourage and motivate each other. I feel more energetic, stronger and overall the best I’ve ever felt.
Meet our January 2019 Athlete of the Month…Evelyn Karras!!
Evelyn is coming up on her 18 month anniversary with us at CrossFit Pineville!! She joined us back in August of 2017 and has been a regular at the 7pm class since. Evelyn always walks in with a smile and gives the WOD her best effort that day. That hard work is paying off with all kinds of gold stars on the whiteboard!! Woohoo!
Keep up the awesome work Evelyn, the best is yet to come!! Read more about Evelyn below…
- Tell us about yourself in a few sentences. I was born and raised in Charlotte, very rare these days, but I am Greek!! Both of my parents immigrated from Greece, which means I have quite a large family. I grew up playing sports, soccer in particular, but those days are long behind me now. I even stayed local for college and went to UNCC and received my bachelor’s degree in foreign languages (Spanish). I joined CFP about a year and a half ago just after turning 30 and feel the strongest I’ve ever felt.
- What do you hope to achieve through CrossFit? I hope to be at my healthiest, improve my physical performance, and to simply be a strong female athlete. I’ve always worked out, but CrossFit showed me otherwise and I never looked back. Strong is beautiful!!
- What is your favorite CF exercise? Favorite would be cleans.
- What CF exercise do you least like? Least favorite would be anything gymnastics as this is where I struggle the most.
- What would you tell someone considering trying CFP? I would tell them to just jump in because you will surprise yourself. It’s not as scary as it looks and the coaches really do take the time to know everyone and their abilities.