It seems Instant Pots are all the rage these days! I got one last Christmas and was intimidated by it for quite a few months, but finally feel I have a better handle on it now. Ya know, a year later 😉 I know lots of athletes at the gym have these at home too, so hoping to share more Instant Pot recipes in 2019! This recipe below is from SkinnyTaste and she has IP or slow cooker directions in the original recipe! So have no fear, if you haven’t hopped on the IP train yet, you can still make this recipe in your slow cooker, but the IP directions are below.
I made a few switches from the original recipe based on what I had at home, so that is what is below. This recipe was really tasty, low carb, and a great way to get some veggies in! Hope you enjoy!!
Instant Pot Chipotle Chicken Zucchini Soup
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 c onion, chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 16 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I cut into chunks so they shred better)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- fresh black pepper, to taste
- 4 c reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 c marinara sauce
- 1 tsp chipotle chile powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried cilantro
- zucchini noodles (I bought pre-spiralized from the store & used all 16oz!)
- pecorino romano cheese
- Press saute button on Instant Pot, add oil, onion and garlic and saute until soft, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, tomato sauce, chicken, salt and pepper, chipotle chili powder, cumin, oregano, and cilantro.
- Cover and cook high pressure 20 minutes. Quick or natural release.
- If you didn’t buy pre-spiralized zucchini, spiralize now using a spiralizer with the thinnest noodle setting. Cut the zucchini (pre cut or not) into 6-inch strips.
- When the pressure releases, open the Instant Pot, remove the chicken, shred with 2 forks and place back in the pot along with the zucchini.
- Press saute and cook until the zucchini is tender, but still crisp, about 2 to 4 minutes. (I made it ahead of dinner time, so I just left it on keep warm with the zucchini in there til we were ready to eat and it was still tender, yet crisp!)
- To serve, ladle into bowls and top with avocado and cheese, if desired.
Big news athletes!! Mark your calendars – we’re back with another nutrition challenge! Our 8 Week Fall 2018 Nutrition Challenge starts Monday, September 17th!!! Coaches Michelle, Amy & Sarah are excited to head this up and share their knowledge of nutrition, how to properly fuel your body, & help you achieve those health & fitness goals you’ve been wanting to hit!
These 3 ladies have been working on their nutrition to achieve their own goals and are absolutely confident that they can help you do the same over our 8 week Fall Nutrition Challenge!!
Here are all the details you need to know to join the Fall Nutrition Challenge:
- It is highly encouraged (but totally optional!) to sign up for the most accurate body fat testing, coming to CFP/RISE NEXT SAT, SEPT 1st!!! See all the details here and follow this link to get signed up!
- This is NOT a paleo/whole 30 challenge – this is a nutritional rebalancing, flexible dieting challenge! No foods are “off limits”.
- The challenge will run from Mon, Sept 17th through Sun, Nov 11th setting you up for a successful Holiday season!
- We will have 2 informational sessions the first week of September! Lots of great info will be shared (what are macros, what is cleansing/intermittent fasting, what you should be eating) so do all you can to make it to an info session!! Wed 9/5 at 7:30pm & Sat 9/8 at 10:30am **If you absolutely cannot make it to one, let one of us know & we will do what we can to get you the info needed to participate!
- You will be assigned a coach – either Michelle, Amy or Sarah – who will guide you the entire challenge & who you will check in with weekly.
- You will take measurements pre & post challenge to track your progress including your weight, body measurements as well as 2 benchmark workouts!
- You will complete your pre measurements, metcon and weight lift by Mon, Sept 17th. Post measurements and retesting of the metcon & wight lift must be completed by Sun, Nov. 18th.
- You will take progress photos throughout the challenge and share them with your coach.
- There are AWESOME prizes up for grabs!!! Make it to an info session to learn what sweet prizes you could win!
- A buy in is required to be eligible for prizes.
We are SO excited to see you guys take control of fueling your bodies and all the amazing results you’ll get out of it!! We can’t wait to see you at the info sessions! Email Coach Michelle at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions!
This tasty recipe hails from Wholesome Yum blog and is an awesome week night dinner option, or prep ahead for a few lunches during the week! CFP member Shannon brought us this dinner recently and we ate the entire pan! If you’re looking for some lower carb options to change things up, this will definitely fit the bill. It’s gluten free, only has 6 ingredients and doesn’t require a ton of prep!
Pesto Chicken Cauliflower Casserole
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb shredded chicken (cooked, packed tightly to measure)
- 3/4 c basil pesto
- 1/4 c heavy cream (or coconut cream)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded, divided)
- salt & pepper to taste
*For any recipes calling for shredded chicken, I typically cook mine ahead of time in the slow cooker or instant pot & then shred. If you’re pressed for time, you can always buy already cut cauliflower and a rotisserie chicken to pick apart for your shredded chicken.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Grease a 9×13 casserole dish.
Add cauliflower and olive oil to dish, sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper and toss to coat.
Roast cauliflower for 15-20 minutes until crisp-tender.
Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
Remove cauliflower from oven and mix in the shredded chicken and half of the shredded mozzarella.
Stir together the basil pesto and cream and pour evenly over the casserole. Toss until everything is coated evenly. Sprinkle the rest of the shredded mozzarella cheese on top.
Return the casserole to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
**This could also be tasty with a broccoli/cauliflower mixture! Some parmesan could be super delish in this recipe as well. Try it out and let us know what you think!
Now that the warm weather is here to stay, it officially feels like grilling season (although we pretty much grill year round 😉 )!! Plain ol’ grilled chicken gets boring, so I love a good marinade to liven things up without adding a ton of calories!
This delish Honey Lime Chicken Marinade from The Enchanted Cook blog is an old favorite that I just rediscovered! Simply make the marinade the night before, let your chicken marinate overnight, grill that chicken up and you’ll have delicious, juicy, flavorful chicken for dinner! Yum!
Honey Lime Chicken Marinade
- Add all ingredients for the marinade to a ziplock baggie and combine well.
- Add chicken to the baggie and turn several times to coat.
- Store in fridge overnight.
- Heat grill to medium high heat and grill about 6-7 minutes each side or until juices run clear (adjust time as needed depending on thickness of the chicken breasts).
- Serve up with your favorite summer veggie & enjoy!!
Now that it’s warm out, hot food (especially in the middle of the day) is a huge turn off! I want something cold, crisp and filling! This Strawberry Cobb Salad from the Neighbor Food Blog is just the thing! If you prep a few ingredients early in the week, you’ll have your week day lunch for several days!!
Below, I made a few tweaks to the original recipe found here. Feel free to make your own edits and substitutions to make it just the way you like! The recipe below will make one salad, so in order to have salad all week, grab enough greens at the store, prep enough grilled chicken, hard boiled eggs & bacon and you’re good to go. Enjoy!
- 1-2 cups mixed greens (I like baby spinach and spring mix)
- 2 oz grilled chicken
- 1 hardboiled eggs
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2-3 strawberries, sliced
- 1-2 oz feta cheese (blue cheese or gorgonzola would also be delicious)
- Sliced almonds
- 1/4 c EVOO
- 1/4 c strawberry puree
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- pinch of sugar (optional)
- Mix all ingredients for salad (or arrange super pretty like a traditional cobb salad with greens first, then rows of other toppings if you so choose 😉 ). That’s it, salads are so easy!
- Puree strawberries in a blender, magic bullet or ninja.
- Add in other ingredients and blend again.
- Spoon a few tablespoons over your salad.
- Store the rest in an air right container in the fridge for about 5-7 days.
Happy Summer eating!!
Who doesn’t love a good 3 ingredient recipe!? These simple 3 ingredient energy bars from The Kitchn Blog are so yummy, have endless possibilities for add-ins and specialty combinations, and can be kept for weeks in the fridge or even a few months in the freezer! Super easy to grab and go, can easily be made in bulk to stock up, and no baking involved!
Grab these 3 ingredients and any other add-ins you like and try these out! Enjoy!
3 Ingredient Energy Bars
- 1 c nuts (I like to use almonds)
- 1 c dried fruit (I like no sugar added cranberries)
- 1 c pitted dates
- any optional add-ins: chocolate chips, chia seeds, shredded coconut, cherries, cinnamon, protein powder, cocoa powder, almond (or other nut) butter, etc
- Combine nuts, dried fruit, and dates in a food processor, pulsing a few times first, then for 1-2 minutes until a ball forms. (Scrape down sides as needed.)
- Mix in any optional ingredients either by hand (if you want them to remain chunky) or with the food processor.
- Place ball of ‘dough’ onto wax paper and using your hands, press into a square (about 8×8).
- Wrap and chill for at least an hour.
- Cut into smaller squares as desired and store separated by small pieces of wax paper (so they don’t stick together).
- Eat and enjoy!
This week’s Tasty Tuesday recipe may be the easiest one ever!! 3 ingredients, set it and forget it in the crockpot & voila – dinner is served!!! This recipe hails from local blogger Christina over at Carolina Charm. She shares the most amazing crockpot hack to cook your chicken & sweet potatoes all in one!
Then she adds in some delicious pesto to make that plain ol chicken not so plain! Who would’ve thought pesto chicken & sweet potatoes could be such a yummy combo!? This recipe makes a week night meal (or two) so simple, so really you have zero excuses to not eat healthy!
Try out this crockpot hack & recipe ASAP! Enjoy!
Crockpot Pesto Chicken & Sweet Potatoes
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 3-4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/3 c pesto (you can find plenty of yummy, “clean” store bought pestos or make your own right at home – here’s a great pesto recipe to try from skinnytaste!)
- Assemble your crockpot and place your sweet potatoes on one side & the chicken on the other.
- Pour pesto over top chicken.
- Place the lid on your crockpot and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove the cooked potatoes (there will be liquid at the bottom of the pot) and set aside.
- Shred chicken (I love to use my kitchen aid mixer for this – just scoop out chicken, pesto and a little liquid).
- Slice open your potatoes, stuff with chicken, and dig in!
Cheers to an easy & healthy dinner!
Happy Tasty Tuesday! Your tastebuds will be excited for this one, so grab these ingredients and try this recipe ASAP! The original recipe hails from Diethood, I’ve just made a couple swaps to make it a tad more Paleo/Whole 30 friendly. But feel free to make per your own eating goals.
This salmon is delicious with a roasted veggie on the side or would be so tasty on top of a big spinach salad! Save a little of the glaze as a dressing or top with your favorite ginger dressing, balsamic, or just EVOO and vinegar.
Coconut Sugar Glazed Salmon
For the Salmon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp butter (or ghee)
- 4 4-6 oz skin-on salmon filets
- salt & black pepper to taste
For the Coconut Sugar Glaze
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp coconut aminoes
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 c coconut sugar
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of 1 lime
- black pepper to taste
- chopped fresh cilantro
- sliced green onions
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle salmon fillets with salt and pepper and place in the skillet, skin-side up.
- Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until browned and cooked about three quarters of the way through.
- Flip over and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together melted coconut oil, coconut aminos, Worcestershire sauce, coconut sugar, ginger, lime zest, lime juice, and black pepper.
- After the fish has cooked on both sides, lower heat to medium and pour the brown sugar glaze over the fish.
- Swirl it around and cook for 1 minute, or until it starts to thicken, flipping each fillet to coat.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with cilantro and green onions.
- Serve as desired & enjoy!!
I’ve shared my love of CauliPower Pizza Crust before, so this is no doubt my easy button for the crust for a healthier Buffalo Chicken Pizza! Throw together a big spinach salad with some berries (or dried berries), slivered almonds, carrots and EVOO and balsamic vinegar and voila, a healthier quick and tasty twist on a favorite!
We usually make 2 pizzas so we have a few slices left for lunch the next day. And remember, toppings are always optional, so play around with it & enjoy!
Buffalo Chicken Pizza on CauliPower Crust
- 1 CauliPower Pizza Crust
- 6 oz shredded chicken breast (I cook up a few breasts in the instant pot or crock pot & shred with my KitchenAid mixer!)
- 1/3 c Frank’s Red Hot Sauce (plus more later if desired)
- 1/2 c Mozzarella Cheese (shredded or fresh, thinly sliced if you’re feeling fancy 😉 )
- 1/2 c Blue Cheese Crumbles
- Optional toppings: pineapple, cilantro, parsley, red onion
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Toss shredded chicken in buffalo sauce and spread on your pizza crust.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly on top of chicken.
- Sprinkle blue cheese crumbles around pizza.
- Add any pineapple and red onion and sprinkle with more hot sauce, 1 tbsp at a time, if desired.
- Bake at 425 for 12-14 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and crust starts to brown.
- Finish with fresh cilantro and parsley if desired.
- Slice and enjoy!
If you’re in the habit of swinging by Starbucks for a morning pick me up, you know how tempting that glass case of treats can be! Instead of indulging in extra calories, added sugar, and loads of carbs, make the switch to this tasty morning treat!!
You could easily use decaf coffee if you’re wanting a post dinner treat (without the caffeine) or sub in unsweetened almond milk instead of coffee for the kiddos to enjoy a mug cake as well! Use my favorite dairy free protein powder to make this a dairy free friendly option as well!
Chocolate Mocha Protein Breakfast Mug Cake
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1-2 egg whites (or 1/4 c liquid egg whites)
- 1/4 c coffee
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- stevia or honey to taste to sweeten
- Spray a microwavable mug with cooking spray.
- Stir protein powder, baking powder, coconut flour and sweetener of choice together in coffee mug.
- Add egg whites and coffee and stir until combined.
- Microwave 60 seconds or until the center is cooked through.
- Let sit until cooked a bit.