Meet our April 2019 Athlete of the Month – Dave Perkins!!!
Dave has been a member of CFP & RISE for almost 15 months now! He is a busy husband and proud dad of twin girls now in college. Dave has come so far in his time with us. He first joined wanting to get healthier and in better shape, and I would say he has definitely accomplished both! He has shed some body fat, added lean muscle, and keeps improving month after month on those lifts and metcons!
Dave trains smart and has made sure to check his ego at the door. He’s focused on form and has continued to get stronger, most recently PRing his snatch at our Battle of the Ages competition! Dave has an encouraging word every time you see him and never leaves without a few fist bumps after the WOD. We’re so thankful to have you as part of our community at CFP, Dave!
Keep up the great work, the best is yet to come! Read more about Dave below…
- Tell us about yourself in a few sentences. Raised in a military family so moved around a bit but grew up primarily in FL – proud to say there are no “Florida Man” stories about me. In May, my wife and I celebrate our 25th anniversary; we are the proud parents of twin girls who currently attend Furman University. Love to laugh and watch sports – my favorites are the Florida Gators, Miami Dolphins and the USA in any, and all, international competitions.
- What do you hope to achieve through CrossFit? In 2020, I will turn 50 so I’m hoping CF will help me develop the physical foundation to actively enjoy the later years of my life. After a year, I’ve already seen improvements with my physique, knees and back. I’m now able to play golf without needing a day to recover from knee and back soreness and have started an annual surf trip with friends down in FL (I can’t guarantee there may not be future “Florida Man” stories resulting from these trips).
- What is your favorite CF exercise? The Power Clean but I really enjoy the creativity of the holiday-themed metcons – I especially enjoyed the 12-days of Christmas and the recent Easter-themed metcon with my CFP class.
- What CF exercise do you least like? The Burpee, especially the burpee over bar. It’s crazy that I have no problems with the 24-inch box overs but get so tired “jumping” over a 6-inch bar after doing a burpee; I say “jump” but it’s more like a skip…ugh.
- What would you tell someone considering trying CFP? Honestly, I don’t think I can fully articulate what this box means to me. It’s so much more than just a gym; I know this is a cliché but it truly feels like family. The coaches are personable, super attentive, offer suggestions to improve technique and provide scaling options to help members dealing with ailments or who can’t complete the workouts as prescribed. The coaches and members are so welcoming to new members and are full of encouragement – everyone truly wants to see you succeed in achieving your personal goals. I can’t tell you how many workouts I’ve been proud to complete but know that I wouldn’t have gotten through it without hearing a word of encouragement from someone when I was at the brink. As if this type of environment wasn’t enough, a brewery will soon be opening right next door; looking forward to some future post-workout “cooldowns” there.